A holiday home for a couple who are keen sailors and enjoy renovating Victorian steam boats. Weir Quay sits some 10Km up the Tamar Estuary from Plymouth and the site lies on the east bank, some 1.6km south-west of the village of Bere Alston. The site extends to some 0.237 HA and has a gated right of way to a ‘quay’ – once a former dock for the lead and silver mines. The first lead/silver smelter at Weir Quay was built in 1780 and the Tamar Smelting Works in 1820, by 1849 tin was also processed here. In 1845 Weir Quay was deepened to allow vessels of up to 400 tons and coal from South Wales was landed here as well as ore from all over the world for smelting locally. Our proposal replaced a 1970’s ‘pre-fab’ and the concept for this holiday home is based on the idea of a green-oak framed – offsite pre-fabricated – pavilion. It seeks to have a low impact upon its site – raised up on stilts to avoid predicted flood levels. It ‘touches the earth lightly’, to float above the riverbank (paying homage to the great Austrailian architect Glenn Murcutt). A linear plan roughly parallel to the road, but sited closer to the river to create a turning space for dealing with trailers and boats to the entrance court. The house now interacts with the river’s edge providing views south and across the river from all rooms. A small inset terrace to the southern corner off the master bedroom enjoys distant views down-river. Walls are infilled in horizontal timber boarding and all timber is given a single coat of black transluscent stain to provide a grey tone. A zinc standing-seam monopitch roof rises up away from the river and has a projecting timber awning to provide solar shading. To the front (facing the road) the house is quite blank, save a doorway with the upper part as a clerestorey set behind vertical timber slats. The landscaping is preserved as found rather than being domesticated or ‘garden designed’ with shale slate chippings to the slipway and entrance court and indigenous low shrub planting to the ground surfaces. The low stone walls are retained along the river edge. The existing right of way to the quay is maintained. A timber-clad garage/boat store sits behind the retained stone wall onto the road and has a green roof. The FFL for this replacement dwelling is to be set 300mm above the worst case 1 in 200 year event plus climate change allowance.